Our thoughtful experts are ready with ideas, inspiration and advice for your next journey.
Life is in the detail
We know an extinct volcano in the Galapagos where there are more sharks and turtles than I could count and we felt like we were the only people on the planet.
Neill - Original Traveller
Original Travel Expert
Travel Things I Want To Do Before I Die
- A lot of these revolve around water, such as diving the sardine run in South Africa
- or ice diving in Antarctica
- or snorkelling with humpbacks in the Caribbean (the list could go on!)
- On land an ambition of mine is to one day live in India long enough for me to learn Bengali (I'm half Indian) though I'm not sure when I will have time
- Sitting on a beach with my wife, Milly, in southern Goa watching dolphins jumping at sunset.
- The most epic hotel I've ever been lucky enough to stay at is Laucala Island in Fiji. My favourite spot? Extremity.whiffed.overstate.
Toughest Travel Moment
- I was travelling with my father and sister in Ladakh in northern India early one March, when I stubbornly forced upon them a trip over the third highest road in the world in an SUV without 4×4 or chains on the wheels only to find that an SUV like that doesn't cope well when it snows. We were stranded at the top in the dark at over 17,000 feet and had to (almost literally) slide back down while my sister cried constantly and I had to keep getting out to push the jeep out of the snow in rarified air!
Weirdest Travel Moment
- Inter-railing with a friend aged 18 and ending up in Tangiers, Morocco, exhausted. Our first experience right off the boat was to be led by a new 'friend' to a carpet shop where the owner pulled a knife... to show us his indestructible carpet. Only one of us drank the peppermint tea in case it was poisoned so the other could run for help. After that we ate some eggs with yolks that were more green than yellow, stayed one night in a horrible campsite and went straight back to Spain. I have since been back to Morocco and loved it!
Explore my blog posts
Garlinda Birkbeck, professional photographer, made a trip to Iceland organised by Original Travel, in February 2016 with Peter Wilson and Griff RhysJones. They flew to Akureyri, hired a car and drove to Myvatn, where they stayed for a couple of days. Then they made their way around the…
PNG is PDG (pretty damn good). Papua New Guinea is as close as you can get to frontier travel in this day and age. The interior of the country (the Highlands) remained completely uncharted until the 1930s when gold prospectors who had assumed the area was uninhabited due to the rugged…
Probably the best dive in the world. Can one really, definitively, declare anything 'The Best….in the World'? Of course not, and as we've mentioned before, our 80 Senses are shamelessly subjective, but we think we might have found the world's best dive. That's dive as in scuba, you…
Meet the rest of the team
We’re seasoned travellers who combine our personal insights and exceptional knowledge to create memorable trips and experiences.
Isabel de Galleani
Start creating your tailored trip today
Working with you we'll craft an unforgettable trip and tailored itinerary.