Our thoughtful experts are ready with ideas, inspiration and advice for your next journey.
Life is in the Detail
If you want a true African experience, do a walking safari and stay in a tented camp. You’ll feel closer to nature than you ever thought possible.
Matt - Original Traveller
Original Travel Expert
I have extensive travel experience throughout Africa.
Travel Things I Want To Do Before I Die
- A Mokoro safari in the Okavango Delta
- Walk with Mountain Gorillas
- Trek across the Mongolian Steppe
- Go in search of Snow Leopards in the Himalayas
- Go kayaking along the Zambezi River
- Being surrounded by Elephants while on a Bush Walk with guests - the greatest, most intense feeling I have ever had
- Running through the spray of Iquazu Falls while being chased by a Coati for my ice cream
- Spoor tracking a Leopard for 2 hours before eventually finding it and being able to show my guests
- Doing a helicopter flight over the Okavango Delta
Toughest Travel Moment
- Getting my vehicle stuck in an Aardvark hole in the middle of the night whilst on an anti-poaching patrol by myself - it took a lot of swearing and innovative thinking to get out
Weirdest Travel Moment
- Throwing a beer at a Honey Badger as it chased me out of my kitchen and across my patio
Explore my blog posts
Namibia has seen an exciting rush of new camps and lodges open in recent years, making it one of the most exciting destinations to visit in southern Africa. After years of having a very low-key luxury safari industry, it is finally up there competing with its neighbours.
Forget what you think you know about Zimbabwe. Original Travel Africa Expert and former safari guide Matt tells us why we should cast aside any aspersions of Zimbabwe, and why he thinks this amazing country should be top of your list before it becomes one of Africa's premier and most sought…
Secreted away in a hidden corner of south-eastern Botswana lies the Tuli Block, a little known game reserve lying on the South African and Zimbabwean borders. Unbeknown to many, 'here be giants'...
Cast aside any visions of fancy lodges and manicured camps, sometimes the best experiences come in more basic packages, which is exactly what I got when mobile camping in Botswana; just me, my tent, a long drop and a camp fire...
Vast deserts, towering mountains, infinite salt pans and endless game, who wouldn't want to drive around the world's second least populated country? Our resident ex-safari guide, Matt, explains why he thinks Namibia is the world's best destination for a self-drive safari.
As a Field Guide, when you get new guests on your vehicle, it is all about understanding what they want to get from the trip that they've possibly spent a small fortune on. "So Ladies and Gents do we have any special requests for this afternoon's game drive? Anything you would like me to try…
Namibia - home to the world's oldest desert, highest sand dunes, largest underground lake and the largest population of free roaming cheetahs and black rhinos. Namibia is also the second least densely populated country on earth (after Mongolia), with a population of 2.2 million and a size…
The Big Five… that classic safari term which every traveller knows. The majestic lion, the stoic elephant, the cumbersome rhino, the grumpy buffalo and the elusive leopard. But does anyone know why those particular five animals are what constitutes 'The Big Five'?
Introducing our latest Original Travel recruit, Matt Shock, who's just spent a year guiding throughout Namibia, South Africa and Botswana, lucky guy! We asked Matt to share some of his expert insight into what it's like to be a guide in Africa and what some of his most memorable experiences…
Meet the rest of the team
We’re seasoned travellers who combine our personal insights and exceptional knowledge to create memorable trips and experiences.
Isabel de Galleani
Gustav van Damme
Start creating your tailored trip today
Working with you we'll craft an unforgettable trip and tailored itinerary.