An Adventure in Costa Rica & Nicaragua
Enjoy the perfect blend of nature and culture on this 14-day adventure in Nicaragua and Cost Rica. Explore tropical rainforests, hike past volcanos and tour a coffee plantation. Delve deep into the jungle to see sloths and monkeys up close and indulge in sunsets and swimming galore on the coast.
Itinerary at a Glance:
- Explore Granada's historical colonial centre
- Tour a coffee plantation and learn about how it is processed
- Immerse yourself in Costa Rica's cloud forest mountains
- Hike through the lush, tropical rainforests of Manuel Antonio National Park
Why Book with Original Travel?
When To Travel
All of the holidays we create are completely tailor-made to you
Day 1: Arrival in Nicaragua
On arrival into Managua Airport, you'll be met by our driver who will transfer you to your hotel (approximately one hour's drive) where you'll have time to relax and freshen up after your long flight.
Sit by the pool, catch some sun on the open patio and, if you have the energy, stroll into Granada city and explore its historic colonial centre.
Day 2: Mombacho Volcano Nature Reserve
Today, you'll be taken on a private tour of the Mombacho Volcano Nature Reserve.
Hike along a scenic trail passing steaming volcanic vents and cool down at the top of the volcano where you'll find the educational Biological Station.
Enjoy a tour through coffee plantations and learn about the entire process from planting, picking and processing to drinking. Make sure to venture into the trees for the canopy tour and traverse across platforms and walking bridges to get a birds-eye view of the humid tropical forest below.
After the tour, you will return to Granada and be taken to Marina Cocibolca for your boat transfer to your eco lodge.
- Enjoy a city tour of Granada where you will visit the historic San Francisco Convent and Church, explore a colonial cemetery, marvel at the beautiful views of the city from La Pólvora Fort and wander around the Cathedral and Central Park
Day 3: Eco Lodge Kayaking Excursion
Settle into island life at a tropical tree-house style hideaway with lake views from every angle.
Unwind in a relaxing yoga class, enjoy the local rum and beer and savour a delicious three-course dinner at night.
- Explore the exotic ecosystem surrounding the eco lodge by kayak and learn about the natural history of the islands from an experienced guide.
- Go for an early morning or dusky evening kayaking trip where a guide will help you identify the local birds. Make sure to bring binoculars along from your casita to soak up every detail.
- Step onto a floating deck and enjoy a romantic dinner by candlelight
Day 4: Transfer to Morgan's Rock
Today, you will be transferred to Morgan's Rock (driving time approximately two hours).
Located on a 4,000-acre expanse of Nicaraguan jungle, nearly half of Morgan's Rock is a private protected reserve.
Walk along the private, mile-long, sandy beach visited year-round by nesting sea turtles; dine on local food from the Lodge's organic farm and admire watercolour sunsets every evening.
Days 5-6: Days at Leisure
Your next two days are for you to spend as you wish.
Wander along the private beach, enjoy endless activities and tours, and venture deep into the jungle to spot the astounding wildlife.
After days full of exploring, lounge on your balcony day-bed and soak up the fresh island air.
Day 7: Nicaragua to Costa Rica
Get up bright and early and enjoy a fresh, organic breakfast before being transported to the airport for your direct one-hour flight to San Jose, Costa Rica.
Upon arrival, you will be met at the airport and transferred to Bajos del Toro (driving time approximately one-and-a-half hours). Spend the afternoon relaxing in the simple elegance of your lodge and enjoy stunning views over the cloud forests of Costa Rica's central volcanic range. In the evening, enjoy a fresh, flavourful dinner and get a good night's sleep ready for an exciting day of exploring tomorrow.
Day 8: Waterfall Hike at El Silencio
Waterfalls are the main attraction on today's guided trek.
Walk through the dense jungle along paths tracing a pristine creek and stop to marvel at the towering waterfalls. Learn about the cloud forest eco-system and the incredible number of plant and animal species that reside here.
- Take a guided cultural tour of Los Bajos del Toro Amarillo and visit a local orchid enthusiast whose collection features more than 400 species. Afterwards, stroll through the local town and stop at Doña Olga's Pulpería where you can buy fresh tortillas and pastries
Day 9: Flight to Puerto Jimenez
After breakfast, you will be transferred to San Jose airport to board your short one-hour domestic flight to Puerto Jimenez.
Upon arrival, you will be picked up and taken on a 25-minute boat transfer to your lodge where you will be staying for the next three nights.
Spend the afternoon relaxing and enjoying spectacular views over the ocean and surrounding tropical rainforest and make sure to catch a dreamy evening sunset before going to bed.
Days 10-11: Days at Leisure
There are a range of optional activities to pick from over the next few days so you can tailor your schedule to suit your preferences.
Whether you're drawn to the ocean for kayaking and paddle boarding or to the surrounding rainforest for a spot of hiking, you're sure to find something to entice you.
- Embark on a peaceful guided kayaking excursion along one of the largest and most pristine river systems in Costa Rica. A boat will tow you to the mouth of a river and then you'll have the chance to cruise downstream and enjoy some of the best bird watching in the area
- Piedras Blancas National Park has networks of trails in nearly every direction from your lodge so you won't have to go far to see nature at its best. Hike through virgin rainforest and revel in some of the planet's richest flora
Day 12: To Manuel Antonio
Today, you will board a boat back to Golfito and be transferred back to Manuel Antonio (approximately 2.4 hour drive).
Your luxury hotel, located within walking distance of Manuel Antonio National Park, is the perfect base to explore the park's 680 hectares with hiking trails from the coast up into the mountains. Spend the afternoon settling into your new home for the next two nights.
Day 13: Hike in Manuel Antonio National Park
On today's guided hike you can expect to see some of the park's diverse species. Watch sloths meander leisurely through the trees, monkeys swing through the canopy, and birds glide overhead.
Meanwhile, learn about the history of the Quepoa (the indigenous people of Costa Rica) and Costa Rica's past in this stunningly beautiful Manuel Antonio area.
At the end of your hike, enjoy some fresh local fruits and refreshments and take an optional detour to unspoiled, un-crowded beaches.
- Take a tour of the Kids Saving the Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary and learn about how the team rescues and releases wild rainforest animals and provides a safe home for those that cannot be re-introduced into the wild
Day 14: Homeward Bound
Today, you'll be transferred back to the airport before catching your flight home.
Ollie is our expert for this itinerary and, as a seasoned traveller, has the inside track on the most memorable adventures.